We recognize this may be a challenging and stressful time. The team behind Aimovig® will continue to keep you informed about important information related to Aimovig® and COVID-19. We are committed to continuing to deliver Aimovig® to you and your patients.
Below are answers to questions about Aimovig® as it relates to COVID-19.
Where should I go if I have a COVID-19-related question about Aimovig®?
- If you have any questions about Aimovig®, you can reach the Amgen medical team via phone at 1-800-772-6436 and the Novartis medical team at 1-888-669-6682. If your patients have any questions about their treatment plan because of concerns about COVID-19, it is important that they consult with you, their healthcare provider.
Is there any interruption to the supply of Aimovig® based on COVID-19?
- We continue to provide an uninterrupted clinical and commercial supply of Aimovig® for patients around the world and we do not currently anticipate a shortage due to COVID-19.
Is there any disruption in the distribution channel for Aimovig®, ie, pharmacies having stock?
- We continue to provide an uninterrupted clinical and commercial supply of Aimovig® for patients around the world and we do not currently anticipate a shortage of Aimovig® due to COVID-19.
What should my patients do if alcohol wipes, which are required for injection, are unavailable?
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, cleaning with soap and water may be an alternative. Our Instructions for Use (IFU) for the 70 mg/mL SureClick autoinjector and 140 mg/mL SureClick autoinjector provide guidance that alcohol wipes are preferred. However, if your patients are out of alcohol wipes, please ask them to consult you.
Will taking Aimovig® increase the risk of contracting COVID-19?
- There are no data to inform on the incidence or severity of COVID-19 infection in patients receiving Aimovig®.
Does Aimovig® suppress the immune system or increase risk of infection?
- Aimovig® is a biologic medicine that selectively targets and blocks the calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor (CGRP-R), disrupting a key component of migraine pathophysiology.1,2 In clinical trials, there has been no evidence that Aimovig® suppresses the immune system.3 If you have questions about Aimovig®, you can reach us via phone at 1-800-772-6436.
Should my patient stop taking Aimovig® if he/she has COVID-19?
- As their healthcare provider, we consider you to be in the best position to determine whether your patients should start, discontinue, or re-start taking Aimovig® based on their individual medical situation.
Can patients receive the COVID-19 vaccine while receiving Aimovig®?
- The concomitant use of Aimovig® with vaccines for COVID-19 has not been evaluated in clinical trials. Click for the full Prescribing Information. If you would like further information, you can reach the Amgen medical team via phone at 1-800-772-6436 and the Novartis medical team at 1-888-669-6682.
Can my patients get a 90-day supply (or more) of Aimovig®?
- Patient eligibility for extended supply of Aimovig® is mainly dependent on whether their insurance plans allow Aimovig® refills for an extended period – 90 days or more. Some plans are allowing longer extended refills, but this varies from plan to plan.
- If your patients are eligible for a 90-day/3-month supply of Aimovig®, it needs to be indicated in your prescription.
Is a 90-day supply available to my patients who have a 30-day prescription?
- If, in your clinical judgment, a 90-day supply is appropriate for your patient, have your patient ask their pharmacy if a 90-day fill is available—some plans are allowing longer fills of medications.
- Please note that a 90-day supply must be approved by your patient’s insurance plan and may be available during this time as an exception.
- A new prescription may be necessary for a 90-day supply.
What home delivery options are available to my patients?
- Pharmacy delivery: Patients should call their current pharmacy to see if home delivery options are available. Many pharmacies are now offering home delivery, and some even offer it free of charge. Amgen and Novartis have gathered the following information from publicly available sources for common pharmacies that provide delivery of refrigerated products. This list is not comprehensive, and does not endorse any pharmacy*: Walgreens, Publix, Wegmans, Meijer, Giant Eagle, HEB, Albertsons, Schnucks Markets. *At the time of this communication these appeared to be the available options. Contact the pharmacy directly to confirm availability.
- Mail order: Patients should use a mail service pharmacy that is contracted with their insurance plan. Once patients have identified their mail service pharmacy, they should call or visit the pharmacy’s website for instructions. Normally the patient needs to complete an order form, provide the prescription, and make a payment online or through the mail.
- If a patient does not know if their insurance covers mail-order prescriptions, have the patient check their insurer’s website or call the members services phone line. They can find this website and phone number on their insurance member ID card.
What resources are available right now to initiate patients on Aimovig® in the context of COVID-19?
- We understand that access is a concern for you and your patients. That is why we are committed to helping ensure continuity of care for your patients.
- You can find the resources you and your patients need to start Aimovig® on AimovigHCP.com, such as Aimovig Ally™ Access Card information, injection video, etc. Your patients can also enroll in our support program or call 1-833-AIMOVIG if they have any questions about the program.
Will the Aimovig Ally™ Access Card cover a 90-day supply of Aimovig®?
- Aimovig Ally™ Access Card will cover a 90-day supply. Some plans are allowing longer fills on medications. Note, new prescriptions may be required for a 90-day fill. Ask your patients to discuss with their pharmacist for more information.